Summer/August 2006 Catalog > Sports > Stadium Artifacts
< previous lot |  next lot >
Lot 1662: Row of Five Shibe Park/ Connie Mack Stadium Seats
Even the splinters are hallowed on this quintet of original seats from Shibe Park (renamed Connie Mack Stadium in 1953). The first concrete and steel stadium in the majors, Shibe opened in 1909 and was a House of the Holy for Mack's 5 A's championship teams, and also home to the Phillies for a short time in '27 and permanently in '38 (as well as the Eagles from 1940-57). It was finally abandoned in '71 and torn down in '76, but salvaged for posterity were these five gray wood beauties consecutively stenciled "6", "7", "8", "9", and "10" in green. Top slats have understandable cracks and paint loss but seats and metal carriages have surprisingly little damage.
|The bidding for this lot has ended.|